Sweet potato soup recipe
- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chilli, minced
- 2 teaspoons coriander, ground
- 1 kilogram sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 4 teaspoons Chicken Stock Powder, prepared with 1 litre of water
- 150 millilitre Evaporated Milk
- 1/2 cup fresh corriander leaves, chopped
- 4 crusty loaves such as mini cobs
Spray a large saucepan with oil and heat.
Cook onion over medium heat for 3–4 minutes, until soft.
Add garlic, chilli and ground coriander, cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add sweet potato and chicken or vegetable stock.
Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes, until sweet potato is tender.
Cool slightly and purée in a blender until smooth.
Return to the saucepan, add milk and reheat gently.
Stir through coriander and garnish with extra whole leaves if desired.
- Slice the top off the cobs. Scoop out chunks of bread from the inside to make a well, but leave a small amount attached to the crust. Bake cobs in a preheated 210ºC (415ºF) oven for 5–7 minutes until the crust is crisp.
- Place cobs on serving plates, ladle soup into them, and sprinkle with fresh coriander.
- Arrange cob “lid” and bread chunks around the cob, as soft croutons. Eat the cob “bowl” after the soup.