Chicken satay skewers recipe
Gluten free, Lactose free
- 4 free-range chicken breast fillets (about 800g), cut into 2cm cubes
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Jar of your favourite Satay sauce (Check Gluten-free)
- 10 wooden or metal skewer
Combine chicken, lemon zest, juice and oil in a ceramic dish, cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
If you are using wooden skewers, soak in water for the 30 minutes to prevent them burning under the grill.
Divide chicken into 10 equal serves and thread onto skewers.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat, cook skewers for 3 minutes, turn and then cook for a further 3 minutes or until chicken is cooked and starting to brown.
Heat satay sauce in a small saucepan or in the microwave.
Serve skewers drizzled with satay sauce or with the sauce in individual bowls on the side.
- Serve with sides such as steamed rice or a small salad.
- I made a grated carrot, orange segment and coriander salad with the orange juice as dressing.
- Marinading the chicken is not essential, but the lemon does produce a nice sharp contrast to the haloumi.
- Chicken skewers have the wonderful ‘do-ahead-ability’ factor - can be prepared in advanced and then cooked just before serving.
- If you are a nut free household, then try sweet chilli, natural yoghurt (these two are nice combined too!).