Fast beef stroganoff recipe
Egg free, Nut free
- 600g fillet steak, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g button mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup (60mL) brandy
- 150mL beef stock
- 300mL sour cream
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley
Toss meat in bowl with flour and paprika to coat.
Heat oil in a large frypan over high heat, cook half the steak for 1-2 minutes until brown on all sides.
Remove and set aside, repeat with remaining steak.
Add butter to frypan, reduce heat to medium and cook onion until onion starts to soften and colour.
Add garlic, cook for 30 seconds, then add mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
Add brandy and stock, cook for another minute.
Add meat, any juices, sour cream and stir well to combine.
Season with salt and pepper.
Garnish stroganoff with parsley and serve with boiled potatoes or rice.
- Beef fillet is expensive; you can substitute with chuck or gravy beef, but will have to simmer the meat for at least 1 hour before adding sour cream.
- I still don’t have any brandy in the house, so used Cointreau, added a bit of a twist, lovely flavour.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.