Glazed chicken with mash recipe
Egg free, Gluten free, Nut free
- 4 chicken breasts
- ½ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1½ tablespoons red vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 4 large potatoes
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
Slice each chicken breast into about three pieces of equal thickness.
Combine honey, mustard, vinegar and soy sauce in a large bowl.
Coat the chicken in the sauce and marinate for at least 1 hour.
Peel potatoes, cut into quarters.
Place potatoes in saucepan, cover with water and cook until tender.
Drain potatoes well, then mash with 1-2 tablespoons milk (or cooking liquid) until creamy.
Heat a non-stick frypan to medium-high heat.
Remove chicken from marinade, reserve marinade.
Cook chicken in frypan until cooked through (about 5 minutes each side for chicken 1cm thick).
Transfer chicken to a plate.
Add marinade to frypan and stir over a high heat for 2 minutes or until sauce boils and thickens.
Return chicken to frypan to coat in marinade.
Serve mash topped with chicken and sauce and a side of steamed asparagus or beans.
- Use a combination of potato and sweet potato for a colourful mash.
- Secret to good mash is to drain very well, mash thoroughly until there are not lumpy bits and then add the milk, cream or cooking liquid to get the desired texture.
- Adding the liquid first makes it nigh on impossible to get the lumps out!
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.