Marinated pork recipe
Egg free, Gluten free, Lactose free, Nut free
- 2 pork fillets (about 800g)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 100g rocket leaves
- 1 orange
- ½ pomegranate, seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- steamed rice, to serve
Combine soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce and hoisin sauce in a large dish.
Coat pork fillets in sauces and marinade for at least 1 hour.
Heat a non-stick frypan to high heat, remove pork from marinade, reserve marinade, brown pork on all sides.
Turn heat down to medium and cook pork until just pink in the middle, about 10 minutes.
Remove to a plate, cover with aluminium foil to keep warm.
Wipe out frypan, add marinade and ¼ cup water, bring to the boil and then simmer for a few minutes to thicken sauce.
Segment orange by cutting off both ends, place one end on chopping board and cut away peel and white pith, following the curve of the orange.
You might need to turn it up the other way to trim the other end.
Cut segments from orange by slicing down each side of the segment and remove any seeds.
Transfer segments to a salad bowl and squeeze juice from orange ‘skeleton’ over the segments.
Cut a pomegranate in half, hold the pomegranate facing away from you over the salad bowl and prise the seeds out.
Don’t wear your best white frock while doing this! Wash and spin dry rocket and add to salad.
Prepare dressing by combining vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in a small jar, shake well.
To serve, slice pork fillet into rounds and place on a bed of rice, drizzle with sauce and serve with dressed salad.
- Not everyone embraces pomegranate seeds like I do! Substitute with dried cranberries or avocado.
- Segmenting an orange does take some practice; persevere because it is an impressive skill to have.
- Alternatively, cut thick horizontal slices through the orange, removing any seeds.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.