Pot roast recipe
Egg free, Gluten free, Lactose free
- 90g butter
- 1 cup red wine
- 2kg corner of topside (without fat)
- 2 large carrots, cut into large chunks
- 2 parsnips, cut into large chunks
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 8 small onions, peeled
- 4 rashers shortcut bacon, diced
- 1/3 cup cornflour
- 4 cups beef stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons mixed herbs
- salt, pepper
Heat 30g butter and ½ cup red wine in large saucepan, add meat, brown well on all sides.
Remove meat from pan.
Add another 30g butter to saucepan, then carrot, parsnip, potato, onion and bacon.
Sauté gently til golden brown.
Remove from pan.
Melt 30g butter in saucepan.
Add flour, stir over high heat until dark golden brown, being careful not to burn.
Remove from heat, add stock and remaining red wine, stir until combined.
Add tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and mixed herbs and mix well.
Return to heat until sauce boils and thickens.
Place meat (not the vegie combo) in saucepan, bring to boil, simmer gently 2 hours.
Add prepared vegetables and bacon, simmer for another 30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
Remove meat and vegetables from pan, keep warm.
Bring sauce to boil and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes to thicken.
Carve meat, serve with vegetables and gravy.
- Impressive presented on one large platter in the centre of the table if you are entertaining.
- Great for leftovers! Store in the fridge in a casserole dish and reheat in microwave or saucepan.
- A separate serve of greens also adds some colour to this dish.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.