Pumpkin and cumin soup recipe
Egg free, Gluten free, Nut free
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, white part, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1kg pumpkin, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1 large potato, peeled, diced
- 1L chicken stock
- ½ cup (125mL) thin cream
Heat oil in a large pot over low heat
Cook onion and leek for 2-3 minutes until soft
Add garlic and spices, stir for 30 seconds then add pumpkin, potato and stock
Bring to the boil, turn heat down to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes
Allow to cool, then use a stab-mixer to puree (or blend in batches)
Stir through cream and serve sprinkled with extra nutmeg (optional)
- Use leftover pumpkin to make the Pumpkin and chilli dip.
- Personally, I don’t understand the pumpkin-nutmeg combination and prefer to leave it out, but nutmeg-away if you like!
Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.