Thai beef salad with noodles recipe
Egg free, Gluten free, Lactose free
- 650g rump steak
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 100g vermicelli rice noodles
- 1 cup bean shoots
- 2 lebanese cucumbers, cut into strips
- ½ cup mint leaves
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- ½ cup basil leaves
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- roasted peanuts to garnish
Pound steak to tenderise (very therapeutic) and season with salt and pepper.
Heat oil in frypan over high heat, add steak and cook for 3 minutes each side for medium ‘doneness’.
Transfer meat to plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
Soak the vermicelli in boiling water for 2 minutes, drain in a sieve, rinse with cold water and drain again.
Divide the vermicelli between 4 serving bowls.
In a large bowl combine the bean shoots, cucumber, herb leaves and chilli. Place on top of the vermicelli.
In a small bowl combine sugar, lime juice and fish sauce.
Thinly slice the beef and place on the greens, drizzle with dressing and top with peanuts.
- Use Thai basil if you can find it in your local supermarket or grocer.
- Take this salad on a picnic – keep the noodles with salad bits, meat and dressing in three separate containers and combine in the great outdoors.
- Long chillis are quite mild, but omit if your kids won’t like the heat.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.