Orange cake recipe
- 125g butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- Zest and juice of an orange
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- ¼ cup milk
- 1½ cups icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 20cm square or round cake tin.
Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat on low speed until just combined.
Increase speed and beat until smooth.
Pour into prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Allow cake to cool for 5 minutes in the tin and then turn out onto a cake tray to cool.
To make the icing, combine icing sugar and enough orange juice to make a smooth paste.
Spread icing onto cold cake.
- This is a great, quick cake to make and is perfect for afternoon tea and for lunch boxes.
- You will get a flatter cake using the square tin, but then it is easy to cut into squares for lunch boxes.
- Can be mixed in a food processor.
- I like to add some orange zest to the icing, but that depends on your children’s ‘bit’ tolerance.
Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.