Spinach feta slice recipe
- Large bunch spinach leaves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 250g feta
- 125g cheddar cheese, grated
- 5 free range eggs
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- Olive oil spray (or olive oil to brush on)
Wash spinach and dry in a lettuce spinner.
I had to ‘spin dry’ in three batches, even with a largish spinner.
Remove spinach stalks and discard, shred leaves finely.
Combine spinach and onion in a large colander and sit for 1 hour to drain.
Preheat oven to 180°C.
Butter a deep rectangular dish (mine was 26cm x 32cm, but a slightly smaller one would be fine).
Add crumbled feta and cheddar cheese to the spinach mix and mix well.
This will be testing your colander’s volume capacity to the limit – if you have a small colander, perhaps transfer to a large bowl to mix.
Place four filo sheets on the bottom of the dish, spraying oil between sheets.
Press spinach mixture into dish.
Beat eggs with a whisk in a small bowl until frothy, pour evenly over spinach.
Cover with remaining filo sheets, spraying oil between sheets and on top sheet.
Bake for 40-45 minutes until lightly browned.
- A wonderfully crunchy, cheesy pie – even my kids will eat the ‘green bits’.
- I buy the 375g box of filo sheets in the refrigerator section of the supermarket. You will have heaps left!
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.