Chicken sticks recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 600g chicken mince
- 200g green or red cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 small carrots, grated
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- ¼ cup sweet chilli sauce (optional)
- 5 sheets puff pastry, halved
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Remove pastry sheets from freezer, separate and leave on bench to thaw while preparing filling.
Line two baking trays with baking paper.Preheat oven to 200°C.
Heat oil in a large nonstick frypan over high heat, add onion and mince and cook for 5 minutes until chicken is golden.
Stir to break up the large chunks. Add the cabbage, carrot and sauces and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
Spoon the chicken mixture along the centre of each pastry half, brush the edges with egg and roll up. This challenges my dexterity, handy to have the kids around to help out!
Slice each roll into three pieces and place join-side down on baking trays. Brush tops with egg.
Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- I asked my kids what we should call these, and number one son was quite adamant that they were “Chicken Sticks”. Personally, I liked “Chicken Telescopes” or “Chicken Wands”, but whatever works for your little monsters.
- I shred and chop the cabbage into almost miniscule pieces – from previous experience dangly green bits are not approved of in our household!
- Depending on your rolling ability, you might only need 4 sheets of pastry, but I always have some leftover, even with 5 sheets. Never mind, the filling is a very tasty snack.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.