Vietnamese-inspired beef and noodles recipe
Egg free, Gluten free, Lactose free
- 3 teaspoons peanut oil (or olive or vegetable)
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 600g rump steak, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced in strips (julienne)
- 1 red capsicum, sliced in strips (julienne)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- juice of two limes
- packet rice noodles (gluten free)
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 1 cup mint leaves (Vietnamese if you can get it)
- roasted peanuts, chopped (optional)
Soak noodles in hot water for a few minutes until soft, drain into a colander, refresh with cold water and drain again.
Heat a wok over high heat, add 1 teaspoon of peanut oil and stir fry half the beef to seal and brown.
Transfer cooked beef to a plate.
Repeat with another teaspoon of oil and remaining beef.
Cover beef with aluminium foil to keep warm.
Heat remaining teaspoon of oil and stir fry onion for 2 minutes, add garlic and chilli and stir fry for another minute.
Add carrots and capsicum, cook for about 3 minutes.
Stir in noodles, fish sauce and lime juice, cook until noodles heated through.
Serve in bowls topped with herbs and peanuts.
- I stirred the coriander and mint leaves through the stir fry just before serving and the heat did brown them a bit.
- Try piling the herbs on top to keep the vivid green (and impressive presentation).
- If you are not a big fan of fish sauce, substitute with soy sauce.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.