Crunchy munchy honey cakes recipe
- 75g unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250mL) buttermilk
- 2 cups self-raising flour (or gluten-free flour, see note below)
- 1 cup cornflakes (gluten-free)
- Icing sugar, to sprinkle
Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a muffin tray with muffin cases.
Use an electric mixer (have I mentioned my pride and joy – Red KitchenAid Mixer) to beat butter until light and fluffy.
Beat in honey until well combined, then eggs one at a time.
You might have to scrape down the sides of the bowl a couple of times to make sure all the honey is incorporated.
Add half the flour and half the buttermilk, mix until just combined, then add remaining flour and buttermilk.
Spoon into muffin cases and sprinkle with cornflakes – don’t be shy with this bit because as the cake cooks, the flakes spread out.
Bake for about 25 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
Remove cooked cakes from the tray and cool on a wire tray.
When cold, spoon icing sugar into a tea strainer and sift over cakes.
The honey makes these cakes quite dense, so they take a bit longer to cook than normal.
- Best eaten on the day they are made, otherwise the cornflakes soften.
- Or reheat in oven to freshen up and crisp the cornflakes.
- To make gluten-free, use gluten-free plain flour and 3 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder (muffins in pic are gluten free).
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.