Fish cakes with sweet chilli mayo recipe
Gluten free, Nut free
- 500g potatoes, peeled
- 415g can pink or red salmon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper (optional)
- 1 egg
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil, to fry
- ½ cup cornflour (gluten-free)
Sweet Chilli Mayonnaise
- ½ cup (125mL) mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
Cut the potatoes into large chunks and boil or steam until tender.
Drain and mash until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl to cool.
Drain the salmon and remove any bones (thinking, “This is disgusting, it smells like cat food and there are bits of bone everywhere!”).
Add to the potatoes with the parsley, lemon rind and juice, egg, salt and pepper.
Mix well, divide mixture into eight portions, then use your hands to form the fish cakes.
Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat.
Dip each fish cake in the cornflour and add straight to the pan.
Cook (in batches) until both sides are golden brown.
To make the mayo, combine all ingredients in a small jug or bowl.
Serve fish cakes with a dollop of mayonnaise and a side salad.
- I made my mash the night before, so it is prechilled when you need it.
- I find dealing with canned salmon or tuna very challenging, but the end result is worth it (and not smelly!).
- If you prefer, substitute the canned fish with 1 or 2 pieces of cooked, boned, fish fillet (e.g. salmon, tuna, gummy flake).
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.