Chicken san choy bau recipe
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 500g chicken mince
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 iceberg lettuce
Prepare the lettuce by cutting out the stem and pulling off leaves. The outer ones are too big and soft, keep for a salad; use the lettuce cups closer to the heart of the lettuce. Wash gently and use a lettuce spinner to dry. You will need 2-3 cups per person.
Heat peanut oil in a hot frying pan and brown the chicken mince. Add fish sauce, soy sauce and lemon juice, cook for one minute.
Remove from heat and stir through bean sprouts and coriander leaves.
Spoon chicken mixture into lettuce cups and serve immediately.
Alternatively, if you don’t mind spillage, serve the chicken mixture in a large bowl on the centre of the table and let everyone fill their own lettuce cups.
- Finely chopped water chestnuts also add a nice crunch to this dish.
- Fish sauce is, well, smelly like fish, but adds the lovely flavour to san choy bau and other Thai dressings. Wrinkle your nose and persist!
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.