Sautéed veal with roesti recipe
Egg free, Gluten free, Nut free
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 100g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 500g veal schnitzel, thinly sliced
- Juice of half lemon
- 4 tablespoons cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sliced spring onions (shallots) to garnish
- 3 large potatoes (about 700g)
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 60g butter, melted
- 60mL (1/4 cup) olive oil
To prepare roesti, preheat oven to 150°C.
Peel potatoes, grate and squeeze out any excess liquid.
Place grated potato in a bowl and mix in the chives, melted butter, salt and pepper.
Spoon 2 tablespoons of mixture into the pan for each cake and fry until golden on both sides.
Drain on paper towels and place in oven to keep warm until all cakes are made.
To prepare veal, melt butter in a large frying pan, sauté onion over low heat until soft and golden.
Add mushrooms and cook until tender.
Increase heat to high, push onion and mushrooms to side of pan, add veal and cook for 5 minutes until browned all over.
Reduce heat to low, season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
Add cream just before serving.
Place two roesti on a plate, pile on some veal and garnish with the spring onions. Enjoy.
- I have held this recipe in my memory banks since 1996. International travel, BC, cosy restaurant in Zurich, sublime cheese fondue for entrée followed by sautéed veal (geschnetzeltes) and potato roesti.
- When I had finished and thought, “that was truly amazing”, out came some more that they had been keeping warm! Calorie-packed bliss.
- Depending on your appetites, there will be roesti leftover, why not try the salmon stacks.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.