Chocolate mousse recipe
Gluten free, Nut free
- 200g good quality dark chocolate
- 50g butter
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup (250mL) cream
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
Melt chocolate and butter in a heat-proof bowl over a simmering saucepan of water.
Or in the microwave. Stir until all melted and smooth. Set aside.
Whip the cream until soft peaks form.
In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, then sprinkle on caster sugar and whisk until mixture is thick and sugar has dissolved.
Stir the egg yolks into the chocolate mixture, then fold through the cream and then the whipped egg whites.
Spoon into one large glass bowl, or individual small bowls, cups or glasses!
Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
To serve, find a good hiding spot and savour every mouthful.
Add a few raspberries for extra delicious-ness.
- I use my fabulous red Kitchen Aid mixer for this, but unfortunately only have one mixing bowl (a situation soon to be remedied).
- If you have a similar situation, make sure you rinse the bowl and beating attachment thoroughly between whipping the cream and eggs.
- I had a few minutes of uneasiness when whipping the cream, I had bought a plain brand thickened cream and it took quite a bit of time to whip.
- Visions of a night-time dash to supermarket flashed before my eyes. But the moment passed.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.