Tex mex burgers recipe
Egg free, Nut free
- 500g heart smart beef mince
- 2 tablespoons water
- 35g packet of taco seasoning mix
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped (optional)
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 4 slices bread or hamburger buns
Combine mince, water, seasoning mix and tomato sauce.
Form into 4 large burgers or 8 small burgers.
Heat a non-stick frypan to medium heat and cook 4 burgers at a time.
Don’t rush or you will end up with male-bbq-style burnt burgers.
Allow 6-7 minutes each side and turn only once.
Toast bread or burger buns, top with lettuce, tomato, cheese, avocado (if using) and burger.
Serve with extra tomato sauce or salsa.
- Use only half the packet of seasoning mix if your kids don’t like spicy tastes.
- The toothpick with chilli and avocado is purely decorative, but isn’t it fantastic!
- An idea I stole whilst on holiday – also looks good with a lime or lemon wedge with the chilli.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.