Cheesy potato bake recipe
Serves 4 (or 6 as a side dish)
Egg free, Gluten free, Nut free
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and chopped in 2cm cubes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 rashers bacon, rind removed and chopped
- 200mL cream or milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
Place potatoes in saucepan, cover with water and boil until cooked.
While potatoes are cooking, heat olive oil in a large frying pan and cook onion and bacon until starting to brown.
Drain potatoes, then add onion and bacon mixture, cream (or milk) and season with salt and pepper.
Stir well and then transfer into a large ovenproof dish.
Sprinkle with grated cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
Stand for 5 minutes, garnish with green onions.
- We ate this wonderful bowl of comfort food with our favourite local BBQ chicken and some steamed green vegetables.
- I used half low-fat milk and half cream in a feeble attempt to reduce calories.
- The recipe would work just as well with low fat milk.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.