Hummingbird cake recipe
Gluten free, Nut free
- 1½ cups plain flour (use Gluten-free)
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 over ripe bananas
- ¾ can crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup oil
- 60g Philadelphia cheese
- 1½ cups gluten-free icing sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Grease a round cake tin (mine is 22cm diameter) and line with baking paper.
Sift flour, bicarb and cinnamon into a large bowl, stir in sugar.
In a separate bowl, mash bananas, add pineapple, oil and eggs and whisk to combine.
Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and stir in the banana mixture.
Pour mixture into cake tin and bake for 50-60 minutes until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Cool in tin for 5 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack until cold.
To prepare icing, beat Philadelphia cheese with icing sugar and enough lemon juice to make a spreadable paste.
Spread over cold cake.
- This recipe was kindly given to me by a friend, let’s call her Lola, who has Coeliac disease.
- She has been a great source of gluten-free advice.
- As yummy as the philly icing is, this cake is very moist and is fine without the icing.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.