Rock cakes recipe
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 90g unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup sultanas
- 9 mixed glace cherries (I used 3 red, 3 yellow and 3 green), chopped.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup milk
Preheat the oven to 190°C.
Line two baking trays with baking paper.
Sift flour and cinnamon into a large bowl, then rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs.
Stir in sugar and fruit.
Stir in egg and enough milk to give a stiff dough (should still be moist).
Place one tablespoon of mixture onto the trays, about 5cm apart.
Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
Cool on a wire rack.
- I had forgotten how dull it is rubbing butter into flour.
- Therapeutic, I guess. However, the kids love it because they get to play with flour and make a mess.
- Traditionally rock cakes have mixed peel -- everyone say ‘ugh' -- so I have replaced it with ‘traffic light’ glace cherries.
- This is an excellent recipe for kids because it is all done in one bowl, with no heat (or help!) required until the oven is needed.
- Hmm, you may need to chop the cherries if your kids are not safe when knife-wielding.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.