Chocolate afghans recipe
- 180g butter, melted
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 cup cornflakes, crushed
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 tablespoons hot water
Preheat oven to 180°C. Line two baking trays with baking paper. Cream butter and sugar using an electric beater until light and fluffy.
Sift flour into a large bowl, add cornflakes, coconut and cocoa powder and stir to combine. Stir flour mixture into butter mixture until well combined.
For each biscuit, place one tablespoon of mixture onto prepared baking trays about 3cm apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes until starting to brown. Cool on baking trays for 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack.
To make icing, combine all ingredients and stir until smooth. Drizzle icing over warm biscuits, then leave until icing sets. Best to put some kitchen paper under the wire rack to catch the icing drips.
- I’m not sure of the political correctness of the name of these lovely bikkies, but I have such fond memories of these from my childhood, I just had to include them.
- Make these gluten-free using gluten-free flour (e.g. Orgran or White Wings) and gluten-free cornflakes.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.