Homemade baked beans recipe
Egg free, Gluten free, Lactose free, Nut free
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 rashers bacon, rind removed and chopped
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 x 400g cans diced Italian tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons treacle (or golden syrup)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and bacon and cook until golden brown.
Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes, treacle and sugar. Stir until well combined and bring to the boil.
Cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
Taste for salt (I didn’t add anymore because of the bacon) and pepper and serve beans on their own, with crunchy toast or sausages and bread.
- I have always been queasy around canned baked beans and spaghetti. They just seem so wrong. But beans are good for you, so here is a great version for homemade baked beans.
- Baked beans are traditionally made with bacon bones or a ham hock, but this is a quick version with chopped bacon. I hear all the “tsk, tsk” from the slow food movement. However, sometimes you don’t have hours to prepare dinner and the bacon avoids dealing with a fatty, icky joint.
Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.