Sunday night tomato bruschetta recipe
Egg free, Nut free
- 6 slices crusty bread, thickly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup basil leaves, torn into small pieces
Chop the tomatoes finely, placing in a bowl as you go. When you have finished chopping all the tomatoes, drain off the excess liquid.
Add the olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and set aside.
Toast or grill bread, place on serving plates and rub the top of each slice with the cut surface of the garlic.
Don’t overdo it with the garlic! Spoon tomato mixture onto bread and sprinkle with basil leaves. Serve immediately.
- Rubbing the bread with the garlic clove gives the bruschetta a bit of a kick; omit this if you think it will turn the kids off. Not a problem in our house as we have a Charlie and Lola approach to tomatoes.
- This is bruschetta at its simplest (and best). You can add all manner of things: roasted vegetables, pesto, olives or parmesan cheese.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.