Chicken and basil stir fry recipe
Egg free, Gluten free
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 (about 600g) skinless chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, cut into thin strips
- 10 button mushrooms, sliced
- 200g baby spinach leaves
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 150mL evaporated light milk
- 3 tablespoons good-quality basil pesto (I like Sacla brand)
- basil leaves, to garnish
- 1½ tablespoons basil pesto, extra
Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick frypan or wok, stirfry chicken until golden and cooked through – best done in two batches.
Transfer to a plate.
Add the remaining oil to pan and stirfry capsicum and mushrooms for 1-2 minutes.
Add the baby spinach and tomatoes and cook until the spinach starts to wilt. Stir in evaporated milk and pesto and heat through.
Serve on steamed rice, garnished with basil leaves and about 1 teaspoon of extra basil pesto per serve.
- Many thanks to Steph (my foodie mother-in-law) for this lovely recipe.
- For fussy children that don’t do green bits or red bits, take the chicken out of the stirfry and serve with the rice. You may have to scrape off offending vegetable matter with a knife. The chicken will have a hint of the beautiful flavour and maybe (fingers crossed) next time they will try a bit more.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.