Yummy chocolate brownies recipe
Makes 16-20 brownies
Gluten free, Lactose free, Nut free
- 300g good quality dark chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 150g butter, chopped
- 1 cup gluten-free plain flour
- ½ teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1½ cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm square slice tin (I used a 22cm square cake tin); line with baking paper, extending paper 5cm over sides.
Stir butter and chocolate in a saucepan over low heat until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes.
Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa into a large bowl, stir in sugar and then chocolate mixture.
Stir in eggs and vanilla and beat mixture until thick and glossy.
Spread mixture into tin and bake for 25-30 minutes. The trick with brownies is to not over cook them, so the skewer shouldn’t come out clean!
The edges of the brownies will be firm and springy to touch and the middle will be gooey.
Allow to cool in the tin (it will set as it cools), then use the overhanging baking paper to carefully lift out onto a large chopping board.
Cut into 20 squares and serve warm with cream (OMG) or at room temperature with your favourite cup of hot something.
- Not essential to use gluten-free flour, just substitute with normal plain flour.
- You could add ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans. Jamie Oliver adds dried sour cherries to his recipe — might try that next time!
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.