Chocolate caramel slice recipe
Makes 48 small or 24 large squares
Egg free, Gluten free
- 1 cup self-raising flour (gluten-free, see notes below)
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 125g butter, melted
- 400g tin skim condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 30g butter
- chocolate topping
- 150g dark chocolate
- 30g butter
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a slice tin (mine is 21cm x 31cm).
Combine flour, coconut, brown sugar and melted butter in a large bowl. Press into slice tin and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
Meanwhile, combine condensed milk, golden syrup and butter in a small saucepan and stir constantly over a low heat until starting to turn golden.
Pour over cooked base and bake for another 10 minutes.
Allow to cool while preparing chocolate topping.
Melt chocolate and butter together in the microwave or in a small saucepan over low heat. Pour on top of caramel. Allow to set and then slice.
- An all time favourite. If you really like your caramel layer, double all the caramel ingredients and continue with method.
- To cut neatly through the chocolate, dip a knife in hot water and slice through the chocolate first, mapping out your squares, then slice all the way through.
- If you find yourself momentarily distracted while you are meant to be stirring the caramel and you end up with burnt bits in your otherwise glorious caramel, ahem, simply pour onto the slice through a sieve and no one will ever know.
- Make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free flour (e.g. White wings or Orgran) and 2 teaspoons of gluten-free baking powder.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.