Chunky vegetable soup with chickpeas recipe
4 - 6
Egg free, Gluten free, Lactose free, Nut free
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 medium, potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1L chicken or vegetable stock
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 large zucchini, halved, cut diagonally 1cm thick
- ½ cup fresh or frozen peas
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices crusty bread
- 4 tablespoons spreadable cheese
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, cook for 3 minutes until starting to soften, add garlic and cook 1 minute further. Add potatoes, carrots and celery, stir to coat in that lovely onion/garlic mix.
Stir in stock and chickpeas. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
Add zucchini and peas, cook for a further 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Serve with crusty bread topped with cheese.
- This is a very pleasant change to child-friendly-pureed-soup, but feel free to whiz it in the blender if there is a higher chance of success with your kids!
- Adjust vegetables to suit what you have in the fridge and pantry.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.