Breakfast bars recipe
24 - 30 bars
- 150g unsalted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup (60mL) honey
- 350g rolled oats
- 100g hazelnuts or hazelnut meal
- ½ cup protein powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 small bananas, mashed
Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a slice tray (mine is 22cm x 31cm) with butter.
Melt butter, sugar and honey in a large saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in oats, protein powder (if using), hazelnuts (or meal), cinnamon, baking powder and bananas. Stir until well combined.
Spoon into prepared tray and smooth the surface with finger tips dipped in cold water (the water prevents the mixture sticking to your hands).
Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Cool in the pan, then transfer to a large chopping board to cut into rectangles.
- From experience with my kids, homemade bars need to be crunch free (so I use hazelnut meal), dried-fruit free (no sultanas) and have no obvious fresh fruit!
- I use a whey protein powder, from my friendly neighbourhood Herbalife consultant. Gives the school kids a bit more energy in the start of their day.
- The bars are a bit crumbly. Much easier to cut if you place the cooled pan in the fridge until the mixture is cold, then slice in the tray.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.