Hot air balloons recipe
- Use butterfly cake mixture or a vanilla cake packet mix
- 12-16 flat bottom ice cream cones
- 12-16 balloons
- Wooden skewers
- Little people to decorate
- 25g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cups icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- food colouring (optional)
Preheat oven to 180°C. Place cones in muffin pan holes – this works a treat for catching any overflow during baking. Prepare butterfly cake mix or packet mix cake. Fill each cone 2/3 full (amount varies depending on how big cones are). Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
To prepare icing, mix butter, icing sugar and milk together in a small bowl until pale and smooth. Add food colouring (is using).
When cakes are cold, trim away any overflow. Spread with icing and push 3 skewers into each cone. You will need to adjust the angle of the skewers so they can hold the balloons. Blow up balloons and place carefully between the skewers. Push the chosen ones (we like Lego men and Polly pocket) into the icing. Transfer carefully to the party table – a great centrepiece or individual place setting.
- I made the butterfly cake mix and made 12 butterflies and 12 hot air-balloons. If you are not making the butterfly cakes, halve the cake recipe for the hot-air balloons or use a packet mix cake.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.