Steak with creamy mushroom sauce recipe
Egg free, Gluten free, Nut free
- 4 x 150-200g steak (I used rump)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 350g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup white wine (optional)
- ½ cup (125mL) chicken stock
- ½ cup (125mL) cream (or evaporated light milk)
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (optional)
Place steaks in a plastic bag with oil, salt and pepper. Vent your aggression by bashing the steak to tenderise. Store in fridge until ready to cook; remove 10 minutes before cooking.
Heat a large non-stick frypan or BBQ to high heat. Cook steak for 2-3 minutes each side for medium, or to taste, turning once only. Remove to a plate, cover with aluminium foil and keep warm.
Reduce heat to medium, melt butter in pan juices and add the mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes or until golden and tender. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Add wine (if using), stock and cream. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring, until sauce thickens slightly. I prefer a thicker sauce, so thicken with 1 tablespoon of cornflour dissolved in 1 tablespoon cold water.
Serve steak smothered in mushroom sauce with potato wedges and a green vegetable or salad.
- Choosing the mushrooms is my 3 year old daughter’s current favourite helpful thing to do whilst grocery shopping. At last count we literally had 3 bags full. So this week we have creamy mushroom sauce, which is just as lovely with pork or chicken, and Sunday mushrooms on toast for leftover sauce and surplus mushrooms!
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.