Sunday mushrooms on toast recipe
Egg free, Nut free
- 1 turkish bread
- 30g butter
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 rashers short cut bacon
- 350g mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup white wine (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ cup (125mL) chicken stock
- ½ cup (125mL) cream (or evaporated light milk)
- 100g lettuce mix, to serve
Slice Turkish bread in half lengthways and then into 4 pieces that will fit in your toaster (or grill).
Heat a large non-stick frypan to medium heat. Melt butter and fry the onion and bacon for 2-3 minutes until starting to turn golden.
Add garlic and mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes or until golden and tender. Add wine (if using), stock and cream. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring, until sauce thickens slightly.
Toast Turkish bread, top with mushrooms and a handful of lettuce mix. A lovely Sunday brunch.
- As mentioned in the Steak with creamy mushroom sauce recipe, we are currently experiencing an ongoing surplus of mushrooms.
- I made this recipe with leftover mushroom sauce, leftover fried bacon and onion from the Stuffed potatoes and leftover Turkish bread from the pizzas I fried some more mushrooms in butter before adding in the leftover mushroom and bacon. Quick and easy and cleared out the fridge a bit!
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.