Stuffed potatoes recipe
Egg free, Gluten free
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 rashers short cut bacon, chopped
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese, plus extra to sprinkle
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Scrub potatoes and stab each with a toothpick (about 8 holes each – all around the potato). Wrap each potato in a piece of paper towel and place in the microwave.
Cook on high for 4 minutes or until tender when restabbed with the toothpick. Leave to cool.
Heat a non-stick frypan to medium-high heat, add oil and cook bacon and onion until golden brown.
Preheat the oven to 180°C. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, remove paper towel and cut the top off the potato. Scoop out the inside of the potato and place in a bowl.
Be careful not to break the skin – I leave about a 5mm shell. Mash the potato and stir in bacon, onion, cheese and parsley. Add enough milk to make a mash potato consistency.
Stuff the mixture into the potatoes, overfilling a bit, and then sprinkle with extra cheese.
Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is golden brown and potatoes are heated through.
Serve with a green salad.
- These are great fun for the kids to help make. They can be prepared in advance and stored in the fridge until needed.
- Invariably you end up with more stuffing than the potatoes can possibly hold. No problem cook's treat!
- I had extra bacon and onion, so cooked that and used the leftover in the Sunday mushrooms on toast.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.