Chocolate orange friands recipe
Gluten-free (see note below)
- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 180g icing sugar
- 100g ground almonds
- Zest of 1 orange, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 4-5 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon Cointreau (optional)
- 100g unsalted butter, melted
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 12-hole friand tin (or use a regular muffin or deep cupcake pan). Sift plain flour, baking powder and icing sugar into a mixing bowl, stir in almond meal and orange zest. Dissolve coffee and cocoa powder in a small bowl with hot water. Lightly beat eggs with a fork and whisk into dry ingredients, then stir in coffee mixture, Cointreau and butter.
Spoon mixture into tin, filling each hole two-thirds full. Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 180°C and cook for another 15-20 minutes until golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Cool in tins for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar just before serving.
- I make these when I don’t want to share! But to make them kid-friendly, omit the coffee and Cointreau and reduce the hot water to 2 tablespoons.
- Make gluten-free using gluten-free flour (e.g Orgran or White Wings).