Ear pasta with peas and bacon recipe
Egg free, Nut free
- 500g orichette (ear pasta)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 rashers short cut bacon, diced
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve
Cook the pasta in a large pot of water following packet directions (about 10 minutes) or until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup water.
While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large non-stick frypan over medium-high heat and cook bacon and onion until onion is starting to turn golden brown. Add peas to pan and sauté for 2 minutes until tender.
Drain pasta, return to pot, add bacon mixture and parmesan. Stir well to combine, add reserved water or a splash of extra virgin olive oil if the sauce is too dry. Serve immediately with extra parmesan.
- My daughter loves stuffing peas in penne, so imagine her delight when she discovered ear pasta (orichette)! I usually give her a bowl of buttery pasta, a bowl of peas and a bowl of parmesan and off she goes.
- This is a fast dish to prepare, on the table in about 15 minutes. Fabulous.
- 500g of pasta makes quite a big meal for 4 people; we usually have enough leftover for a couple of lunches the next day.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.