Tomatoey chipolatas with polenta recipe
Egg free, Gluten free, Nut free
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 12 baby chipolata sausages
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1L chicken stock
- 1 cup instant polenta
- 60g freshly grated parmesan cheese
Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook sausages until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Add onion and garlic to the pan and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes until softened. Add tomatoes and oregano, bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add sausages and cook for a further 10 minutes or until sauce is thick.
While the sauce is simmering, bring the stock to the boil in a saucepan. Slowly add polenta, whisking until all added.
Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and stir constantly with a wooden spoon for a further 8-10 minutes or until the polenta is cooked (the texture of mashed potato).
Remove from heat and stir in parmesan. I find that the stock and parmesan give enough flavour and I don’t add extra salt.
Serve sausage casserole on a puddle of polenta.
- My husband’s verdict on this dish was 'sensational'. The tomatoey sauce combines beautifully with the creamy polenta. If your kids like mash, they will love polenta.
- I poured the leftover polenta onto a plate and used it in the Polenta cake with anything goes salad
- Our local supermarket stocks a 500g packet of gluten-free chipolatas, happily with a high meat content and identifiable carrot. I use these sausages and gluten-free stock to make this dish gluten-free.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.