Classic layered salad recipe
Gluten free, Nut free
- 1/2 iceberg lettuce
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 125g tasty cheese, grated
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tomato, cut into wedges
- 4 rashers bacon, finely chopped
Shred lettuce and place in a large glass salad bowl. Sprinkle frozen peas over lettuce. Finely chop eggs and spread over peas, top with grated cheese. Combine mayonnaise, mustard and lemon juice and pour over cheese. Cover salad with plastic wrap, refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
Fry bacon in a non-stick frypan until crisp, drain on paper towel.
Just before serving, top salad with tomato wedges and cooled bacon.
Great as a meal on its own, to serve with barbecued meats or BBQ chicken.
- Make this salad the night before or at least 6 hours before serving. The salad keeps well in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- In a large glass bowl, this salad is quite the centrepiece. Let people admire it before serving, because it implodes once you start serving! A lovely combination of creamy dressing and crisp cool vegetables.
- Use low fat mayonnaise or natural yoghurt to reduce the kilojoules.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.