Nan's zucchini loaf recipe
Makes 1 large or 2 small loaves
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/4 cups caster sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups grated zucchini (2 small zucchinis)
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Butter the base of a deep loaf pan or two small loaf pans. Beat the eggs using an electric mixer, add the oil and beat until combined. Beat in sugar one cup at a time and then add vanilla. Sift flour, baking powder, soda and cinnamon together into a bowl.
Add to egg mixture and beat until just combined. Stir in zucchini. Pour the mixture into prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes if using small pans or 50 minutes to 1 hour is using large pans, until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Cool in pan for 15 minutes and then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- This is a beautifully moist loaf that tastes of vanilla and cinnamon, not zucchini! Nan tells me it will keep in the fridge for a month (not in our house)
- I used a large loaf pan, but had some overflow. Better to use two loaf pans or a square cake tin.
- If you don't have vanilla extract, use 3 teaspoons vanilla essence.
- Nan's original instructions were, 'Beat eggs, add oil, then all other ingredients. Cook'. I hope my extra instructions are helpful!