Tea cake recipe
8 - 10
Gluten free, Nut free
- 60g unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour (see notes below for Gluten-free)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Butter the base of a 20cm round cake pan (I used a bigger one in the pic and the cake was a little on the shallow side).
Cream the butter and sugar together using an electric mixer. Add the egg and beat well. Sift the flour and add half to the mixing bowl with half the milk and beat on a low speed until combined. Repeat with remaining flour and milk and beat until just smooth.
Pour the mixture into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Cool in pan for 5 minutes then turn onto a wire rack and remove paper. Reverse cake so the top is uppermost. While the cake is still hot, spread with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- A classic cake to have with your afternoon tea. Quick to make and bake and on the table served sliced and hot!
- My kids love this cake because it has cinnamon and sugar dusting 'just like doughnuts'.
- Great for kids and parents alike for an after school snack.
- Make gluten-free using gluten-free flour and one teaspoon baking powder.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.