Fruity lemon cupcakes recipe
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- Zest of 1 lemon, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 200g natural yoghurt
- 1/3 cup icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 12 frozen raspberries
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Place cupcake papers in a 12-hole muffin tray. In an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes until pale in colour and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Beat in the zest and juice. Sift flour and baking powder; add half to butter mixture with half the yoghurt, beat until just combined. Repeat with remaining flour and yoghurt.
Spoon into cupcake papers (an icecream scoop is perfect for this) and bake for 25-30 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Transfer to wire racks and allow to cool completely.
To make icing, combine icing sugar with enough lemon juice to make a spreadable paste. Spread icing on cakes and top each with a frozen raspberry. As the raspberries defrost, lovely rivers of pink juice work their way down the icing.
- These sparingly iced lemony cupcakes are a light change to heavy butter cream icing.
- Omit the frozen berries if this is going to get the kids off-side.
- These cupcakes are adapted from a Jill Dupleix recipe.