Lazy lamingtons recipe
- 1 bought Victoria sponge cake (in two halves)
- 1/3 cup raspberry jam
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups desiccated or shredded coconut
Cut each half of the sponge cake in half horizontally. Spread jam on two of the halves and top with the remaining halves. Cut each sponge into 8 pieces.
Sift the icing sugar and cocoa powder into a bowl. Add enough warm water to form a runny icing. Spread the coconut onto a large sheet of baking paper.
Dip each cake portion in the icing to coat each side. This is a very messy business, call in the kids and keep your hands nice and clean!
Roll each piece of cake in the coconut and place on a wire rack for 30 minutes to dry. Store in airtight containers.
- If you can't find a Victoria sponge (two circles), a slab sponge would be fine to make rectangles or squares.
- It is much easier to coat the lamingtons if the icing is quite runny. If you like a thicker icing you will have to spread the icing on with a knife, which is a bit more time consuming... and messy.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.