Strange strawberry salad recipe
Egg free, Gluten free
- 200g haloumi
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 250g punnet strawberries, trimmed and halved
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 handfuls spinach and rocket salad mix
- ½ cup shaved parmesan
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat a non-stick frypan. Slice the haloumi cheese horizontally so you have two large rectangles, then cut each rectangle into a triangle. Pan fry the haloumi until brown on both sides. Steam the asparagus.
For the dressing, combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Whisk well to combine.
Combine the strawberries, tomatoes, asparagus and salad leaves in a large salad bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the dressing and toss the rest through the salad. Divide the salad between 4 serving dishes, top with a piece of haloumi and sprinkle with parmesan, pine nuts and remaining dressing.
- Strawberries and balsamic vinegar are often combined as a dessert; here they add a lovely sweet contrast to the salad and haloumi. And it might just get your strawberry eaters trying salad!
- Have the strawberries at room temperature, so you get the full sweet flavour.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.