Zigzag chicken skewers recipe
Egg free, Gluten free, Nut free
- 500g (2-3) chicken breasts
- 180g haloumi cheese, cut into 24 cubes
- 1 red capsicum, cut into 1.5cm squares
- Oregano or sage leaves (halved if large)
- 6-8 wooden or metal skewers
If you are using wooden skewers, soak in cold water for 30 minutes (prevents them burning under the grill). Cut tenderloins from chicken. Slice chicken in half lengthways and then slice each half into three long strips. For each skewer, thread the end of a piece of chicken on, then a piece of capsicum, then a haloumi square and an herb leaf.
Wrap the chicken over the top of the herb and thread onto the skewer. Repeat once or twice more for each skewer, continuing the zigzag pattern.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat, cook skewers for 2-3 minutes each side until chicken is cooked and haloumi is golden.
Serve warm with lemon wedges.
- These chicken skewers can be prepared in advance and then kept in the fridge, covered in plastic wrap, for a few hours before cooking.
- The combination of flavours is wonderful, a great way to jazz up ‘chicken on a stick’.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.