Spotty berry pancakes recipe
12 - 16
Gluten free, Nut free
- 2 cups plain flour (use Gluten-free)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder (use Gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 600mL buttermilk
- 60g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup berries (I used raspberries and strawberries)
- Extra unsalted butter for greasing pan
Stir the flour, baking powder and sugar together in a bowl. Add the eggs, buttermilk and melted butter, whisk to combine. Gently stir in berries. The mixture will be quite thick.
Heat a large non-stick frypan over low to medium heat and melt ¼ teaspoon of the extra butter. Pour 1/3 cup (I use my measuring cup) of pancake batter into the pan, spread mixture so it is not more than 1 cm thick and cook for 2-3 minutes until bubbles appear on the surface. Turn the pancake over gently (I don’t have the flipping-in-the-air skill perfected yet…) and cook for another minute.
Transfer cooked pancakes to a plate and keep warm (oven at 120°C) while cooking the rest of the pancakes.
Serve with maple syrup or honey and yoghurt or ice cream.
- Plan ahead, pancakes take a lot longer to cook than pikelets because you do them one at a time. I’d start cooking at least 30 minutes before you want to start serving.
- Use blackcurrants, red currants, blueberries and blackberries if you can get them.
- I had some orange syrup left over from the Flourless citrus cake, which was a lovely accompaniment to the berries.
- I used gluten-free flour and baking powder to make these pancakes gluten-free.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.