Chocolate sponge cake recipe
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup corn flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 150mL pouring cream, whipped
- 1/3 cup raspberry jam
- Icing sugar, to dust
Preheat oven to 180°C. Butter one deep 22cm round pan or two deep 20cm cake pans and line with baking paper.
Use an electric stand mixer to beat the eggs on high speed until thick and creamy. This will take 7-8 minutes. With the mixer still going, add caster sugar one tablespoon at a time, beating until dissolved after each addition. When all sugar is dissolved, turn off mixer.
Sift flours and cocoa powder three times to aerate and combine. Sift onto egg mixture. Use a spatula to gently fold flours into eggs. This is the critical bit, use a ‘light’ hand and don’t over mix.
Pour into prepared pan and spread mixture evenly. If using one cake pan, cook for 20-25 minutes and if using two pans, cook for about 15-20 minutes. The sponge is cooked when it has slightly come away from the sides and the top springs back when lightly touched.
Turn out onto wire racks to cool.
If you have made one cake, slice in half. Spread one sponge with jam and then cream, top with remaining sponge and dust with icing sugar.
- One of my favourite combinations—chocolate and raspberry. Great for an afternoon tea treat
- Be a bit sneaky, use one half of the sponge to make this cake and use the remaining half in the chocolate and raspberry trifle. Two delicious desserts for half the work!
- Make this cake gluten-free using 2/3 cup of gluten-free plain flour instead of the plain and self-raising flours.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.