Pork with purple fruit recipe
Egg free, Gluten free, Lactose free, Nut free
- 4 pork steaks or 600g fillet
- 1 tablespoon oil or butter
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced into wedges
- 100g fresh blackberries
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- freshly squeezed juice of ½ lemon
- salad greens, to serve
For the purple fruit, place the apples, blackberries, sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan with 2 tablespoons of water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer until the apple is soft, about 5 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer until most of the juice has evaporated.
Meanwhile, heat the oil or butter in a large frying pan. Season the meat with salt and pepper (optional). Cook the pork over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side until brown and just cooked through. Rest the meat for a few minutes while you tend to the purple fruit and wash the salad greens.
Scatter some salad greens on each plate, top with pork (thinly slice the fillet) and some purple fruit (aka apple and blackberry compote).
- Blackberries are fantastic at the moment. This fruit on the side adds a beautiful colour and taste to the plate, a lovely match with the pork.
- I use leftover purple fruit with muesli and yoghurt for breakfast. Yum.