Mini chicken and cheese quiches recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 300g chicken breast, diced small
- 1 cup leeks, finely sliced (approx 15 cm piece will be enough)
- salt and pepper
- ½ lemon
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup thickened cream
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2-3 sheets puff pastry
In a frying pan, melt butter over medium-high heat and add seasoned diced chicken. Cook for 1-2 minutes then add leeks. Stir to combine, then squeeze juice from half a lemon and put on a lid. Sauté for five minutes.
Remove from heat and place mixture in a small bowl to cool.
Take pastry sheets from the freezer and allow to defrost on bench.
In a jug, combine eggs, cream and milk. Mix with a fork and leave in fridge until ready.
Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray 2 muffin tins with oil and cut out pastry rounds approx 8 cm in diameter and place one inside each muffin mold, gently pushing it toward the bottom.
When the chicken and leek mix is cool, add a small amount to each pastry round, followed by the cream mixture.
Just before you pop them in the oven add grated cheese on top.
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes then cool on a wire rack.
- If your pastry is too soft, put it back in the fridge for 15 minutes to firm up and you will have a better puff!
- If you have extra liquid in the bottom of your cooked chicken/leek mix, drain before use.
- You can also use pork or chicken mince if you don’t want to dice up the chicken; just make sure you separate the meat when cooking.
- Because these are aimed at kids, I try to avoid adding salt, however adjust to your liking.
- Using leeks instead of onion is more kid-friendly and also breastfeeding mum friendly (I ate a lot of them when nursing!)
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.