Cheddar star biscuits recipe
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ cup wholemeal flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 100g butter, diced and chilled
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon iced water
In a food processor add flours, salt and cheese. Blend until combined (about 10 seconds).
Add butter; pulse until it has a breadcrumb texture.
With the motor running, pour in water and egg yolks - it will look like small grains.
Stop the motor, turn mixture into a medium bowl and kneed together with your hands.
Once in a ball, flatten into a disc, wrap in glad wrap and pop into the fridge for 20 minutes to firm up.
Preheat oven to 180°C. Roll out dough on a floured board until ½ cm thick. Grab the kids and their favourite cutters and start cutting shapes.
Place on a baking tray with baking paper and cook for 15 minutes.
Cook on wire rack.
- When working the pastry, try not to kneed it for too long; as soon as it is well combined, let it cool down in the fridge.
- These biscuits store well in an airtight container for about a week.
- You can top them with ham, roast chicken, vegemite and butter or just eat them as is.
- These are also great for adult parties as a crouton for smoked salmon and cream cheese.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.