Rice pudding recipe
Gluten free, Nut free
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup medium grain rice
- 100g sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 4 zests of lemon rind
- 1 cup cream, thickened
- 2 cups milk
- Pinch salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon milk, extra
Coat the sides of the crock of a slow cooker well with butter.
Place rice, sugar, vanilla, lemon zest, cream, milk and salt into the crock, stir to combine and set to MEDIUM heat.
Place the lid on top and leave for four hours.
After four hours, combine egg yolks and extra milk, beat with a fork then pour into rice mixture, stir through with a fork and cook for a remaining 30 minutes. Stir it a couple of times to prevent the egg custard cooking at the sides.
After 30 minutes, remove from heat, stir and rest for 15 minutes.
- I was dubious of this working, I have to say. However I am very happy with the end result - creamy, sweet rice you can eat hot or cold.
- When you remove the crock after all the cooking, the liquid will look quite runny, however if you rest it for at least 15 minutes it will thicken beautifully.
- If you’re health conscious, you may choose to use 3 cups of whichever milk you prefer.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.