Green chicken curry recipe
Egg free, Lactose free
- 1.5 kg chicken thighs and drumsticks (with bone in)
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium brown onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons green curry paste (I use Mae Ploy)
- 2 cups eggplant, diced finely (approx 200g)
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup chicken stock or water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 5 sprigs of coriander
Remove extra fat and skin from chicken thighs and drumsticks.
Heat a large frying pan to hot, rub 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over chicken and then sear in hot pan until golden on all sides. You will need to do this in batches.
Place chicken pieces in slow cooker.
When all chicken is done, add remaining oil to the frying pan and fry onion, garlic and curry paste until aromatic.
Add eggplant and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Add coconut milk, stock and fish sauce to frying pan, deglazing the bottom of pan.
Pour ingredients into slow cooker to cover the chicken.
Give a quick stir, place the lid on top and cook on LOW for 51/2 hours.
Add pea and cook for another 30 minutes. If you’d prefer the sauce to be less runny, add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water at this stage and cook to thicken.
- If you think your kids are not going to eat this, try running cooked chicken pieces under water to wash off some flavour then coat again with natural yogurt and a splash of the sauce.
- I like to add whatever green vegetable I have left in the fridge. Peas and spinach work best for me as they cook quickly.
- Serve with rice.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.